helm's alee

The Helmsman announces that the tiller has been moved to the leeward side, the vessel's bow will now cross the wind and move on to the oppasite tack. The sails must be shifted to the other side of the vessel and trimmed for best performance on the new course. Tacking is the result of a desire to reach a destination that is upwind of one's current position. Tacking is life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: The shores of Lake Erie, the buckle of the rust belt, United States

An actual American guy.

Sunday, August 20, 2006

A little introspection is in order

Recently it occurred to me that I write extensive comments on other blogs. While it is clear that I am heavily engaged in events of our time, I wondered why I spent so much of my time on comments. Part of the answer was simple narcissism. I write at popular blogs because I want to be read.

A few of the blogs I haunt are focused on the events that most interest me. It's fun to engage in a lively debate with some sniveling, slab sided, grass combing, dutch built bugger. But sometimes my thinking goes beyond the topics presented by the other bloggers. Highjacking a thread is considered impolite. Further, the commenting can become addictive and I have a lot of work to do.

So my hope is to post here more frequently and comment at other sites less frequently. If I can limit myself I should be more productive.

Finally, I hope to use this as a method to flesh out some of the ideas that pop into my brain while engaged in living this life of mine. There's nothing like standing hip deep in water waving a stick in the air to refine one's thinking about life, the universe and everything. So it is my intention to post some embryonic theses and see where they takes me.

The first such thesis is my belief that there is a parallel between the behavior of Russia in 2006 and the actions of America during the period 1914 to 1917.

Here's what I'm thinking,.

In the pre war era America's economy was in a deep depression. Charles Tansill, writing in 1938 notes that factories were working at 60% capacity and unemployment was widespread. The outlook for recovery when the war broke out was gloomy. But, the beligerents needed all sorts of material. As Andrew Carnegie (yes that andrew carnegie) wrote in a letter to President Wilson "The allies purchases from us from Horses on down are certain to be great."

It is my opinion that Russia finds itself in a similar situation. WE now have a war between beligerents to which it is not a direct party. Russia faces an economy ravaged by the stupidity of Communism and barely able to sustain itself. Unemployment, discontent and malaise abound. But the beligerents need "stuff" and some of this stuff is military equipment. Purchases of hardware like the Kornet anti tank missle that showed up in Lebanon mean hard currency for the Rodina and work for its unemployed.

If you read the quote from Carnegie carefully you'll see the seed of the issue that lead to America's ultimately becoming a beligerent. Carnegie mentions only the "allies". Would we have sold to the Germans? I believe we would have and the reasons that we didn't are both complex and revealing. Sufficient for my purposes now though is the simple fact that we supplied only one side with material.

Russia is NOT selling material to us, the israelis or any of the other involved parties. Their clients are the despotic states of the Middle East, most notably Iran and Syria. That one sided customer base makes neutrality almost impossible. Wilson couldn't sustain it in the prewar era and he was a dyed in the wool Princeton peacenik. Certainly Putin with his own despotic proclivities will not be able to sustain even a pretense of neutralities and the fighting drags on.

At this point I'll quit. The darling daughter and I are going to catch an early movie. She's going to drive so I must fortify myself with more coffee and a whole bunch of ibuprophen.

15 Comments:

Blogger skipsailing said...

this is a test of my sock puppet robot.

10:55 AM  
Blogger Louise said...

Okay. Even though I'm second, I think I can still claim to be ....... (drumroll here) ....... FIRST!!!!

(A blog's owner doesn't count in the race to be first, ya know.)

11:04 AM  
Blogger Louise said...

Oh crap. It's being moderated. Maybe I'm not first.

11:04 AM  
Blogger Louise said...

Okay. Now that I've actually read your debut entry, I think that's pretty good thinking. Too bad Russia is backing the wrong horse though. When are they gonna have another election or was this another of those one or two elections and that's that.

11:10 AM  
Blogger Tom C said...

First? after you? :)

11:13 AM  
Blogger skipsailing said...

I'm thinking about the moderation thing. It doesn't make sense unless I start getting spammed.

So I gwine toin it off afore it gets to be too much woik.

11:26 AM  
Blogger Mike H. said...

I think that Putin (being former KGB) is desirous of regaining the former glory of the Soviet Empire. The selection of clients was fore-ordained.

How he thinks that Iran will leave him out of its aspirations for conquest, is beyond me. And how anyone with an ounce of brains can figure that they will be safe from the ensuing war between the sunni and the shia, after they've combined to subdue the rest of the world, is also beyond me.

1:28 PM  
Blogger dcat said...

:) Great!

2:20 PM  
Blogger skipsailing said...

The other thing that the current russian situation exhibits is the fact that oil will not make a country wealthy.

First it really doesn't employ all that many people and next it is very clear that the revenues from oil are easily contained within a small group of people.

Mexico is a good example. Pemex produces quite a bit of oil yet the mexicans themselves flood our borders in search of work.

so arms sales are a way for Russia to employ some people and get a little ROI out all that dough they spent trying to fool us during the cold war.

Putin is a scary guy IMHO. Democracy is demonstrated by the civilized exchange of power. The loser steps aside and the winner steps up. I don't see that happening in Russia. I suspect that Putin is angling toward a monarchy.

We'll see.

And I agree that the clients for Russia's gear were pre ordained.

3:54 PM  
Blogger Mike H. said...

Watch the whole thing collapse when a suitable alternative fuel appears on the horizon. The futures market will drop so fast that any one who has followed rumor, in the pursuit of profit, will lose everything, and the principles who have been expecting their earnings to follow the market will follow it down.

11:44 PM  
Blogger andrea/pj's said...

u need the smiley face
click on thing:):):)
nice going bud!!!!:):)

10:34 AM  
Blogger Tom C said...

MD I caught your comment on WEB Griffin. I'm reading a couple of his now.

7:59 PM  
Blogger Tom C said...

Hmm I wonder how Putin is gonna like having some of those anti tank missiles coming home at the hands of a Chechin rebel? I don't think we were facing much of a threat from that type of persons about that time. Hate also to sound like a biggot but ethnicaly They blend in there.

8:11 PM  
Blogger Louise said...

Speaking of Russia, another big plane crash there being reported this morning. I guess they can't afford to keep their commerical airliners in a good state of repair.

10:41 AM  
Blogger bg said...

hi there.. some illogical math?? :D

imho, Putin & Ahmadinejad & bin Laden,
aside from being leaders, have much in common..

Putin.. KGB
Ahmadinejad.. Tehran hostage taker
bin Laden.. hostage taker

also don't forget that the Grand Mufti
was best pals with Hitler.. and Arafat
was a Mufti Muslim..

i believe they all admired Hitler,
most likely the Mufti as well..

Ahmadinejad & bin Laden were
civil engineers, Putin law..

i don't know, all i know is, none of them have as much in common with other leaders than they do amongst themselves..

please feel free to laugh, but there is a method to my madness, just don't know
what that is yet.. :D

besides, i wanted to post "something"
and my mind went blank.. hahahaha!!

7:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home